- 1 large cucumber
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 2-3 tbsp cooking oil
- 50g turmeric, thinly sliced and sunned for 1 hr
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 100ml natural vinegar
- 100ml water
- 50g garlic, thinly sliced and sunned for 1 hr
- 3 red chillies, seeded and quartered
- 3 green chillies, seeded and quartered
- Split cucumber into half lengthwise and core, but do not peel. Cut into 1×2.5cm sticks. Season cucumber with salt and drain in a colander. Sun for an hr.
- Heat oil in a wok to fry turmeric till oil turns yellow. Turn off heat, discard turmeric slices and leave oil to cool slightly before adding in sugar, salt, vinegar and water. Stir to mix and set aside to cool completely.
- Place sundried cucumber and garlic, and red and green chillies in a glass jar with pickling solution, making sure that vegetables are completely submerged.
- Allow to pickle for at least 2 days before consuming.
Hmm.. My acar should be more yellowish but it turned out a little too white. I think it’s coz I didn’t cook my turmeric long enough for it to turn yellow.. Do better next time..
Rate this post if you like:
Thanks for the recipe! I like the addition of turmeric. My cucumbers needed sunning for a little longer due to it being juicier and the day wasn’t as hot. Quick and easy way to preserve a cucumber bumper harvest!