Aloo is the hindi word for potato. Aloo Gobi is spiced potatoes with cauliflower and Aloo Saag is with spinach. Aloo Matar is my favourite of the aloo dishes and is really easy and straightforward to cook.
Recipe from A Wee Bit of Cooking
- 1 large onion, thickly sliced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 500g potatoes, cut roughly into 3cm bits
- 250g frozen green peas
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Heat 2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil in a wok on medium heat.
- Add onion and stirfry gently till golden brown.
- Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Stir in coriander, cumin, turmeric and chilli. Cook for another min.
Add potatoes, salt and pepper to pan along with ±50ml water. Stir to coat potatoes thoroughly. Once liquid’s very gently simmering, put a lid on pan and let potatoes steam in spices for 10 mins. Stir occasionally.
- Add peas to pan and continue to steam under a lid till potatoes are soft.
- Stir through garam masala and serve sprinkled generously with coriander.
A real comfort food; goes well with rice and/or any kind of curry.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like:
2 arguments are required, 1 given