Made Chicken & Chestnut Rice in the rice cooker as an easy 1-pot simple meal using some lovely large shiitake mushrooms and cooked chestnuts given by a girlfriend of mine. Turned out pretty delish.. 🙂
Serves 3-4; Cook & Preparation Time: ±1 hr
- 500g chicken thigh (or breast) fillet, cut into small chunks
- 8-10 pcs cooked chestnuts, halved if large
- 4 pcs large dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated in warm water for 15-30 mins, cut mushrooms into little cubes
- 300g long grain rice
- enough water to cover rice mixture
- spring onions or cucumber and fresh red chilli, chopped – garnishing, optional
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp ginger juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp cornflour
- ¼-½ tsp salt
- Wash rice in several changes of water. Leave rice to soak in a little water for at least 30 mins.
- Combine marinade ingredients in a large bowl and add chicken. Let chicken marinate for at least 1 hr in fridge.
- Put chestnuts, mushroom and chicken with marinade into rice cooker. Mix well and press COOK.
- Once rice cooker turns to KEEP WARM, add in rice and water till water’s just above mixture. Press COOK.
- Once it turns to KEEP WARM again, give rice and chicken mixture a good stir to mix well. Press COOK again.
- Repeat this 2 or 3 more times, making sure that the last time, chicken’s thoroughly cooked after it turns to KEEP WARM. Cover, leave it to stand for at least 20-30 mins without opening lid again.
- After 20-30 mins, give rice and chicken mixture another good stir. Bottom of rice should be a little burnt. 🙂
- Serve with some chopped spring onions and chillies. And some cucumbers too..
Rate this post if you like: