Jerk Chicken‘s a Carribean, to be more precise Jamaican, favourite dish. Jerk’s a dry or wet spicy spice mixture. It’s a straightforward recipe but it takes time to have it marinated properly – take the time as it’s well worth it..
Recipe adapted from “World Recipes”
- 12 chicken drumsticks & thighs, skin & bones on
Jerk Marinade Ingredients:
- 225g onions, peeled & quartered
- 1-1½ scotch bonnet or other chillies according to taste, halved and seeded (I used 4 normal red chillies)
- 50g root ginger, peeled and chopped roughly
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- small bunch fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 120ml white wine vinegar
- 120ml dark soy sauce
- Put all ingredients for Jerk Marinade in a food processor or blender and whiz till a smooth paste.
- Place chicken in a large shallow oven-save dish, pour over sauce, cover and leave to marinate in fridge overnite. (Mine stayed in fridge for 3 days.)
- When ready, preheat oven to 220C.
- Remove chicken in marinade from fridge, leave to come to room temperature, turn to mix marinade and chicken with some marinade on top of chicken.
- Bake in oven for 45 mins, turning chicken over once and basting in marinade. As it cooks, the thick sauce will go quite black in places. Don’t worry, as it falls off it will leave behind a really well flavoured, crisp skin with lovely moist tender meat underneath.
- Serve with grilled pineapple and peas & rice. (Brush the pineapple lightly with oil and char grill until golden brown on all sides. Squeeze over juice of one lime.)
It tastes even better after a day in the fridge. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: