Oven-fried Chilli Chicken‘s lightly spiced, crisp chicken pieces are baked in oven, rather than deep-fried, to reduce those pesky calories. This is a recipe from “Indian Food Made Easy” by Anjum Anand and those are her exact words.
My version’s slightly adapted, in that I omitted adding oil totally. It does taste slightly differently but then, it’s much healthier, of course.. 🙂
- large knob fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2-4 green chillies, cut in half with the stalk, seeds and membranes removed
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp oil (didn’t add oil)
Ingredients: For chicken
- 800g chicken pcs, skinned and pricked all over with a fork
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 4 slices white bread, processed to crumbs in a food processor
- 1-2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
|Cook time||30-60 mins|
- For marinade: Combine all marinade ingredients in a pestle and mortar (or blender) and mix well to make a paste. Add chicken and coat each piece well in paste. Cover with cling film and leave for a couple of hours or overnite in fridge. Bring back to room temperature before continuing.
- Preheat oven to 225C.
- Pour oil (if using) into a roasting pan large enough to hold all chicken pieces in 1 layer. Place pan on a high shelf in oven for 15 mins to heat up.
- Mix salt, black pepper and cumin into breadcrumbs. Take chicken out of marinade, letting excess drip off and roll each piece in crumbs ensuring an even coating on all sides.
- Dip chicken pieces into beaten egg and add a second coating of crumbs. Place them on baking sheet and cook for 20 mins.
- Then lower oven to 200C, turn chicken and cook for another 15-25 mins (depending on size of chicken pieces), or till cooked thru.
- Place on a serving dish, lemon wedges (or sweet chilli sauce) and serve.
Rate this post if you like: