My copy of delicious.uk March 2014 issue has just arrived and Dunster saw the cover photo. He had to have it a.s.a.p. I’d to do grocery shopping the next day, so I made the decision that I’d buy the ingredients then and I’d make the soup soon thereafter.
So here’s my version of Broccoli & Watercress Soup with Crispy Chorizo Crumbs.. 🙂
Serves 4; Hands-on Time 30 mins
- 3 onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tbsp + 4 tbsp olive oil (I used sunflower oil)
- smoked paprika, a pinch of
- 450g purple sprouting broccoli, roughly chopped (I used normal broccoli)
- 1L fresh chicken stock
- a good handful watercress, ±75g
- lemon juice, a squeeze of (I didn’t use)
- 50g purple sprouting broccoli, finely chopped (I used normal broccoli)
- 40g chorizo, finely chopped or 40g black pudding, skinned and finely crumbled (I used 70g chorizo)
- sourdough breadcrumbs, a handful with chorizo (I didn’t use)
- creme fraiche, a few dollops
- Heat 2 tbsp oil with onions and garlic in deep or soup pan. Gently fry for 10 mins till soft.
- Stir in paprika and cook for 2 mins.
- Add in roughly chopped broccoli and chicken stock and bring to a simmer, cooking for 5-7 mins till broccoli’s tender.
- Cool slightly, stir thru watercress, then blend till smooth.
- Stir in lemon juice, taste and season.
- Heat another pan and add in 4 tbsp oil. Add in chorizo, breadcrumbs (or black pudding) and finely chopped broccoli with some sea salt, tossing to coat. Cook till all’s crisp, then drain on kitchen paper.
- Warm soup and divide among bowls.
- Add crisp fried topping and finish with a dollop of creme fraiche.
We had our Broccoli & Watercress Soup with Crispy Chorizo Crumbs with a homemade No-Knead Crusty Sun-dried Tomato & Chilli Bread.. yuummss.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: