Rica-rica is a Manado, North Sulawesi blended mix of spices cooked with meat (like pork or chicken or beef). My adapted version is braised with pork; we found it refreshing and quite different from the Malaysian way of cooking spicy curry or rendang.
Recipe adapted from Kokkieblanda
- ±1kg pork (I used shoulder of pork), cut into bite-sized pcs
- 5 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1-1 ½ tsp salt, or to taste
Ingredients to be Blended to a Paste:
- 6 shallots, peeled and chopped roughly
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped roughly
- 5 red chillies, chopped roughly
- 13 chilli padi (Thai bird’s eye), chopped roughly
- 6cm ginger, peeled and chopped roughly
- 3 lemongrass, hard green part removed, peeled and chopped roughly
- Heat oil in a wok or large heavy-based pot.
- Add in blended paste and fry on medium heat for ±3-5 mins.
- Then add in pork and stir to mix and let it cook on low heat for abt 30 mins.
- Add in lemon juice, sugar and salt to taste; mix well.
- Serve immediately with warm rice and stir-fried vegetables or fresh salad.
It’s really good, spicy. I’ll definitely try the same recipe again but with chicken.. 🙂
Rate this post if you like: