The addition of curry powder to the regular Chinese-style stir-fried chicken with sweet dark soy sauce (caramel sauce), gives it a hint of spiciness on top of the sweet-salty sauce from the dark/light soy sauce.
It is great for a weekday meal as it’s quick and simple to prepare and cook. This is a quite dry stirfry with just a little sauce that coats the onions. Adding a few cili padi (bird’s eye chillies) would make it a little spicier.
Prep time: 15 minutes; Cooking time: 10-15 mins; Serves 4
- 660g chicken breast, cut into bite size chunks
- 2 large onions, sliced thinly
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 stalks curry leaf
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- some curry leaves and cucumber slices – to garnish
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat oil over high heat.
- Add garlic and onions, and cook for 2 mins till onions have softened and turned translucent.
- Add curry leaves and cook for 1 min, to release its fragrance.
- Then, add chicken and stir fry for 5-7 mins, till thoroughly cooked.
- Season with dark soy sauce (for colour) and light soy sauce.
- Then, add curry powder and stir to coat evenly. Remove from heat.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice and garnish with cucumber slices and curry leaves.
It was different, yet delicious.
Rate this post if you like: