It’s been a long time since we had bitter gourd or bitter melon. I went with some friends to do some Chinese grocery shopping and saw some lovely fresh ones and couldn’t resist buying a packet. Bitter Gourd & Meat With Black Bean Sauce‘s 1 of my favourite ways of preparing bitter gourd; the other’s with eggs.
- ±200 g or 1 medium-sized bitter gourd
- 160g pork shoulder fillet or chicken thigh fillet, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp black bean sauce
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chili, seeds removed and finely chopped – optional
- 150 ml water
Seasoning Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Chinese cooking or HsiaoXing wine
- dash of pepper
- dash of salt, to taste
- Remove ends from bitter gourd, cut into 2 lengthwise and remove seeds and soft centre with a spoon. Then slice at an angle into ±1cm thick slices. Put aside.
- Slice meat into ±1cm thick slices. Put aside.
- Smash black beans (in sauce) with back of spoon roughly. Put aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp sunflower or cooking oil in a wok or a pan and stirfry the garlic for a min.
- Then add meat, and then bitter gourd and black bean sauce 1 min later. Stirfry occasionally for abt 4-5 mins till meat’s cooked (no longer pink).
- Mix in chili and seasonings and bring it to a quick boil. Lower the heat and cook until the sauce is reduced and thickened, abt 5 mins.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice.
Delicious.. It’s definitely been a long, long time..
Rate this post if you like: